Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saying Last Goodbyes

Both my parents are only children so the only aunts and uncles I grew up with were my great ones. On March 2, this was my Facebook status:
I just got a heart breaking phone call. My buddy and great uncle Lute passed away today. It's been a year ago to the day my aunt died (my dad's step sister) and only 15 months ago my grandpa. My grandma Ethel is a strong lady to lose her husband, daughter, and brother this close to each other. I'll miss you Lute and how we'd always tease each other and I'd curl up next to you on the couch.

Lute was Grandma's last living sibling/family member, besides her son in Florida. my grandma is 90 years old and doesn't drive long distances anymore. She lives in West Virginia and Lute lived in North Carolina, so I without thinking told my husband I was going to take her to the funeral. On the 5th Gavin and I loaded up the car and started the 10 hour drive ahead of us. we started in Indiana of course, went through Ohio, then West Virginia to get Grandma. Then we headed off again and went through Virginia and lastly North Carolina.

Hitting the Road!


 
Playing at Great Grandma's

Add caption

This is Lute's 3 daughters, Karen, Lisa, and Sylvia with Grandma Ethel and 2 of his grand-kids.

Gavin loved this little corner at the funeral home. It had toys and a fireplace for him.

Making sure he gave his Great Grandma cuddles on such a hard day for her!

The love these 2 share is amazing to me. They have only met twice because of distance, but I'm sure my Grandpa made sure he told Gavin to love her tons before he sent Gavin down to me.

I know some might think it's weird I have a picture like this, but for me, it helps me to find closure.
Here lays my Great Uncle Lute. I adored him so much, and it was so hard to say goodbye. Out of my family I was the closest to him and I was his little girl. When I made it down with Grandma, everyone said he was always talking about me and how much I meant to him. We may not have been blooded related as Grandma Ethel is my step-grandma, but He was the only Uncle I ever knew. I miss and love you Lute. I can't wait to see you again someday!

0 comments :